Thursday, October 27, 2011

Ever thought you had lost something?

Well I didn't think I would ever see this quilt again.  I must say I was extremely surprised to see it on my doorstep.   Without any warning, I arrived home today to a package.....  & this is what was in it. 

Of course the end result is spectacular.  It has taken a long time to get to this stage and find its way home to me.  It all feels a little bittersweet in the end.  Just the binding needs to be added now.


I started this medallion quilt probably close to 10 years ago now.  It was one of the first things I had ever sewn.  From memory it was off square, and pulled together as a beginner does.  I didn't follow any pattern or guide.  I just went with the flow, adding extra rounds as I went and making it up as I went along.

It sat unfinished for a couple of years I was very hit and miss with it all.  Till I finally pulled my finger out and finished it with lots of prodding from a favorite and kind Aunt, who continually inspired me to get it done.  Well she took it home with her to get it quilted for me.  It had been with her for a couple of years, misplaced in her craft room as so many things do in her little treasure trove of a room.  I figured it would turn up when it was ready as these things do.  

Bizarrely she must have found it.   It must have been annoying her in her craft room.. Staring at her as she tidied up.   :)



The colours of the quilt are muted and countryish, as much as I love it I hate it.  The style is totally different to where I am now. 
But I love the whimsy of it, and the fact that I know I did it with little to no practice or understanding of how to put a quilt together.  And that my kind Aunt helped me with it along the way, encouraging me to get it done and try different techniques.

A big thank you Auntie for re finding it, get it quilted and sending it home to me.  Not to mention your encouragement to get it done in the first place.  x

K x

No comments:

Post a Comment