Thursday, January 10, 2013

Scrap box days

 It has been a scrap box day today.  Everything used in this quilt-as-you-go floor/bathroom mat is from the scrap box ONLY.  Nothing snagged out of the cupboard to add to it.  That was my challenge.  Wadding and all.  

I started out pretty roughly.  A largish piece of backing fabric face down, then the wading on the backing centered top and bottom, left to right or as near as you can get it.  Don't get to finicky .  I picked some different toned scraps selecting my initial start out piece and point on the wading then sewed the randomly spaced lines. 

For each new piece I did the quarter inch seem,  then  finger pressed the piece over, and then the lines up and down again.  The lines are random widths - I didn't want it to look that accurate.  Jigsawed the different pieces to add on with ease.  The straighter the lines the better the effect.  It does use up tonnes of thread thou so keep that one in mind as you are sewing.

For the binding, I rolled the backing fabric to the front and pinned it as you would normal binding cutting off any excess as I went.  A quick zigzag on the machine and its done.  

Into the washer and see how it comes out tomorrow.  

Lessons learnt with the project?  Try and miter the corners more so its not so bulky for the machine.
Practice straight line sewing....  :)

K x x x 

No comments:

Post a Comment